- about us
The evolaris Mobile Living Lab joined the European Network of Living Labs in the 3rd wave (November 2008). The host organisation evolaris next level Privatstiftung brings in the experience of 8 years of research in the field of web-based and mobile applications focusing at the same time on user as well as on business aspects. The evolaris Mobile Living Lab will improve the product development cycle of user-centred and socially acceptable mobile services for young people, especially those in formal education, i.e. pupils and students.
The evolaris Mobile Living Lab acts as an innovation service provider by offering a “probe” for researching user needs and wants in the context of mobile services for young people and to co-create services, which are then highly accepted by the target group. The key offerings are grouped around the design process of mobile services: Mobile and online panels as well as observation through innovation scouts from the target group (exploration phase), focus groups and web-based discussions (idea generation phase), development of mobile software prototypes and user trialling in both the field and in the evolaris user experience lab (implementation phase), and finally online and mobile surveys as well as face-to-face interviews before and after market launch.
The evolaris Mobile Living Lab can build upon the results of the evolaris research lab (number of conducted research projects (2000-2007): 68; completed scientific works: 12 dissertations, 93 diploma theses, 27 baccalaureate theses; more than 40 in peer-reviewed journals, about the same number of conference papers, 20 books and book contributions). At the beginning of 2008, evolaris was awarded the status of a so-called K1 Centre within the Austrian COMET (Competence Centres for Excellent Technologies) Programme. This means that a budget of over 4 million Euros p.a. is guaranteed until 2012, with the option to prolong funding for another 3 years based on a successful 4-year evaluation. The focus of this K1 Centre named “evolaris next level” is the prototypical development of mobile applications, especially with regard to convergence with other interactive and classic media. The network of the evolaris Mobile Living Lab consist of
• Strong Austrian industry partners like AVL List, Mobilkom Austria, Raiffeisen Landesbank,…
• Leading Austrian scientific partners like Joanneum Research GmbH, Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellchaft m.b.H., Graz University of Technology, University of Graz,…
• Renowned international research partners like University of Maribor and the eLivingLab Slovenia, University of Trieste, University of Rijeka,…
• National and regional research promotion agencies like FFG, SFG
• And of course user groups who act as co-innovators, e.g. an opt-in panel of over 1000 students and pupils.
• User driven approach while at the same time ensuring economic viability through systematic business model design
• High acceptance of developed services in the target group through early involvement in the user experience design
• Cost-effective development of mobile services as opposed to costly trial-and-error approaches