- about us
Bridging European Urban Transformations
Register for the Workshop Series in Brussels 2016-2017
Co-organised in partnership by the University of Oxford – Urban Transformations & VUB – Brussels Centre for Urban Studies
This one-day workshop commences with an introduction from Prof Michael Keith, co-ordinator of the Urban Transformations ESRC portfolio, and Prof Bas van Heur, co-ordinator of the Brussels Centre for Urban Studies. This will be followed by six slots and speakers who are experts in the field: three from the Urban Transformations ESRC portfolio projects and three from the VUB. This workshop will also include small debate groups led by each section. Each group will deliver their conclusions at the end of the workshop.This workshop emphasizes an interdisciplinary dialogue, bridges the gap between theory and practice, and encourages knowledge exchange between academics, policymakers, citizens and activists.
9:00-9:15 Welcome: Organisers
Prof Michael Keith (UOxf-UT) & Prof Bas van Heur (VUB-BCUS)
9:15-9:30 Welcome: Host institution & Partnership
Ms Marta Marin (Delegation of the Basque Country to the EU) & Mr Richard Tuffs (Director of ERRIN).
Dr Tuija Hirvikoski (President of EnoLL, European Network of Living Labs)
9:50-10:50 Between the ULLs & Smart Cities in the Making
• 9:50-10:20 Prof Simon Marvin (The University of Sheffield – Urban Institute)
Governance of Urban Sustainability Transitions: Advancing the Role of Living Labs
• 10:20-10:50 Prof Gilian Rose (the Open University)
Smart Cities in the Making: Learning from Milton Keynes
• 10:50-11:20 Debate: Between the ULLs & Smart Cities in the Making
11:20-11:50 Coffee-break & Networking
11:50-12:50 Comparing ULLs & Smart City Cases
• 11:50-12:20 Nicola da Schio & Prof Bas van Heur (VUB-BCUS)
SmarterLabs: the environmental politics of air pollution. JPI-Urban Europe project.
• 12:20-12:50 Dr Nicola Headlam (UOxf-UT)
The Urban Living Global Challenge: Desk research presentation
12:50-13:20 Debate: Comparing ULLs & Smart City Cases
14:20-15:20 Towards Experimental Cities? Forthcoming book presentation and ‘experimental’ interactive roundtable debate (Section 3/3)
• 14:20-14:50 Dr Andrew Karvonen (KTH)
Book presentation: Evans, J., A. Karvonen and R. Raven, (2016), Experimental City. London and New York: Routledge.
• 14:50-15:20 Prof Michael Keith (UOxf-UT) & Dr Igor Calzada (UOxf-UT)
Interactive Roundtable Discussion around the book: Provocations
15:20-15:50 Debate: Towards Experimental Cities?
15:50-16:00 Wrapping-Up and Conclusions
In cooperation with:
• ERRIN (European Regions Research and Innovation Network)
• ENoLL (European Networks of Living Labs)
• Delegation of the Basque Country to the EU, Eusko Jaurlaritza.